Can "pre installed Windows" on a laptop be used as a VM

I have ordered a new laptop and hoping to run NetBSD as primary OS on it
if things go fine. (See my other post on chipset, graphics processor etc.)

This laptop comes with pre-installed Windows. I do not need and do not use
Windows. But since I am being given one, can I just keep the option to use
it open e.g. as a qemu guest on NetBSD (or Linux for that matter). Is
there something I need to do before I wipe out the pre-installed Windows?

--
Mayuresh