Re: Disabling framebuffer at boot time

Le Fri, Aug 19, 2022 at 10:22:48AM +0000, RVP a écrit :
> [...]
>
> Why not just replace /sbin/init with a script which a) writes out the
> dmesg to /var/tmp/ b) replaces self with /sbin/init and c) reboots.
>
> Then, you can mount the FFS partition in Debian and check the log file.

The problem is that the system does not come up: I have verified that
nothing was written in /var: no dmesg, nothing. It simply stalls,
not panicking, and doesn't come to userland, doesn't reach init.

> PS. Can one dump the kernel message buffer to a raw disk partition? Does
> NetBSD have such a facility? (I know that the Android Linux kernel can
> do this.)

This is a question I have too. There was at one moment a tarfs system,
if I'm not mistaken but writing sequentially lines to the swap partition
for example is simpler.

The problem is, even if there were such a facility,
the kernel needs to reach the point where, at least, it can access the
disks. My problem is very likely before, since the kernel doesn't even
panic and reboot.
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/