> Henry <nbsd4ever%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> >  [portions snipped]
> > fetchmail: SMTP error: 454 4.7.1 <name@localhost>: Relay access denied
> > Reading first message addressed to
> > lower.upper%axel.knet.ne.jp%lfknet-pop.xspmail.jp@localhost (22114 bytes)
> > Messages not deleted from server.
> [portions snipped]
> Why do you have addresses with user%domain1@domain2?  I haven't seen
> that in use since the days of CHAOSnet/UUCP/BITNET/ARPANET mail
> gateways.

Oh, you would absolutely shudder if you knew the state of the majority
of ISPs in Japan.

Your question, however, lead me to the answer to how to get postfix to
accept the mail.
By adding `` smtpname "name@my.domain" `` to .fetchmailrc, the problem
was solved.

The following postfix configuration apparently was okay.
> > In /etc/postfix/main.cf, add:
> > smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
> >     permit_mynetworks,
> >     check_recipient_access hash:/etc/postfix/recipient_access,
> >     permit_sasl_authenticated,
> >     reject_unauth_destination
> > Add "name@my.domain OK" to recipient_access;
> >  then, `postmap /etc/postfix/recipient_access`
> > Stop and start postfix.

Many thanks also go to Rhialto and Bruce for turning me on to the "mda"
keyword.  That hint helped me understand why sendmail (an mta) had
been working for me, while I had initial problems with postfix.  While I do use
procmail, it would require more caution in taking mail from fetchmail than I
feel confident with.  I'll be looking into maildrop; sounds like a
nifty program.

Regards,

Henry