Re: help with "SMTP error: 454 4.7.1 <name@localhost>: Relay access denied"

On Sun, May 22, 2022 at 04:13:45PM +0200, Rhialto wrote:
On Sun 22 May 2022 at 22:35:09 +0900, Henry wrote:
More than a decade too late, but I am finally moving from sendmail to
postfix.  Unfortunately, fetchmail doesn't work anymore; I get the
following error (translated from Japanese):

fetchmail: SMTP error: 454 4.7.1 <name@localhost>: Relay access denied
Reading first message addressed to
lower.upper%axel.knet.ne.jp%lfknet-pop.xspmail.jp@localhost (22114 bytes)
Messages not deleted from server.

I guess fetchmail is trying to deliver the message (which it just
fetched from upstream) by passing it to the local sendmail (or now
postfix)?

In my case I'm doing it differently. I'm passing the mails to procmail
as the local delivery agent:

defaults
       to "rhialto@localhost"
       mda "procmail -Y -f %F -d rhialto"

If you don't use procmail, I think there are several other local
delivery agents that just deliver to the local mailbox. local(8) comes
with postfix but maybe you can't just run it from fetchmail.

Henry
-Olaf.
--
___ "Buying carbon credits is a bit like a serial killer paying someone else to
\X/  have kids to make his activity cost neutral." -The BOFH    falu.nl@rhialto

I found maildrop very simple to use with fetchmail.

Bruce
--
One should forgive one's enemies, but not before they are hanged.
(Heinrich Heine)