Re: /usr/pkg/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.8: Shared object "libffi.so.8" not found

Bruce Nagel <nagelbh%sdf.org@localhost> writes:

> I made sure all 3 places had the some /PKG_DBDIR=/usr/pkg/pkgdb in them.

ok

> I did the 'manual merge' from /var/db/pkg and /var/db/pkg.refcount to
> /usr/pkg/pkgdb and /usr/pkg/pkgdb.refcount.  I removed the older
> versions of duplicates in /usr/pkg/pkgdb.  I removed the old /var/db/pkg
> and /var/db/pkg.refcount directories.

So now you have *no* /var/db/pkg*, and you do have /usr/pkg/pkgdb.

> I ran the script with 'check' and it found no problems.
>
> I ran the script with 'migrate' and it reported no problems after
> running.

ok, that's good.  That more or less means that you have recovered from
split-brain, but not that everything is ok.

> pkg_admin check complains about failing md5 checksums for a variety of
> things including the libffi that's been an issue all through this.

That means the installed package does not match the control files.
Either:

  Get a binary for the package, and pkg_add -u -U libffi...

  pkg_delete -f libffi # this will break things but they are broken already
  pkgin in libffi
  pkgin uk libffi # because it's a dependency, not something you   personally want

> pkg_admin rebuild-tree complains about not being able to read the
> +CONTENTS of gdk-pixbuf2-2.40.0nb2

That package's control data is messed up.  Same plan for update-anyway
or remove/reinstall.

> pkgin appears to update and appears to install e.g., vim but vim does
> not get installed, isn't in /usr/pkg/bin, it still doesn't appear to
> actually do anything.

Go to /usr/pkg/pkgdb/vim* and read all the files.   +CONTENTS probably
shows bin/vim, but I use emacs :-)

Run "pkg_check vim".

But, first resolve every problem shown by pkg_admin check and pkg_admin
rebuild-tree before trying to add things.