Re: /usr/pkg/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.8: Shared object "libffi.so.8" not found

Bruce Nagel <nagelbh%sdf.org@localhost> writes:

> I'm running NetBSD 9.0 on amd64.

What its the path in /usr/pkg/etc/pkgin/repositories.conf

> I have tried: pkgin install libffi
>
> It indicates that it's installing libffi-3.4.2nb1 and gives no errors or
> warnings.
>
> After doing that I don't see a copy of libffi.so.8 in /usr/pkg/lib.

I am using binary packages I built myself, but my libffi has that

$ pkg_info -L libffi
Information for libffi-3.4.2nb2:

Files:
/usr/pkg/include/ffi.h
/usr/pkg/include/ffitarget.h
/usr/pkg/info/libffi.info
/usr/pkg/lib/libffi.la
/usr/pkg/lib/libffi.a
/usr/pkg/lib/libffi.so
/usr/pkg/lib/libffi.so.8
/usr/pkg/lib/libffi.so.8.1.0
/usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig/libffi.pc
/usr/pkg/man/man3/ffi.3
/usr/pkg/man/man3/ffi_call.3
/usr/pkg/man/man3/ffi_prep_cif.3
/usr/pkg/man/man3/ffi_prep_cif_var.3

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     15 Jan 10 09:47 /usr/pkg/lib/libffi.so.8 -> libffi.so.8.1.0
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  26120 Jan 10 09:47 /usr/pkg/lib/libffi.so.8.1.0

> When I try: pkgin remove libffi
>
> It indicates that there is "no such installed package libffi"

Probably you have a mix of two PKG_DBDIR locations in /var/db/pkg and /usr/pkg/pkgdb.

I didn't change the location, but I wrote up instructions and a script
of how to deal with it.

http://pkgsrc.org/pkgdb-change/

I strongly recommend setting PKG_DBDIR in all 3 places, under manual, no
matter what else you do.  First you need to figure out where your pkgdb
is, and if two how to merge it.

> Any ideas on how I can resolve this?
>
> Would it be a bad idea to try to compile and install libffi locally from
> /usr/pkgsrc/devel?

no but I am guessing that is not your problem.

> It seems like pkgin itself is having issues, is there something I can do
> to troubleshoot that?
>
> Should I risk trying to upgrade pkgin (using pkgin or compiling in
> /usr/pkgsrc)?
>

> In the bigger picture, how do I avoid getting into this situation in the
> future, just avoid pkgin?  What are the good alternatives?

The pkgdb change is a one-time issue.