/usr/pkg/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.8: Shared object "libffi.so.8" not found

I just made the error of trying to upgrade the gimp using pkgin again.
It seems like every time I use pkgin to upgrade my installed version of
either gimp or libreoffice a library issue like this pops up and breaks
something important.

I'm running NetBSD 9.0 on amd64.

When I attempt to run X I get an error:

/usr/pkg/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0: shared object "libffi.so.8" not found
and X will not start.

mutt will not let me compose an email, vim fails to start.  Fortunately
I was able to ssh into sdf.org to send this, as I have no idea what all
else won't run without libffi.

I have tried: pkgin install libffi

It indicates that it's installing libffi-3.4.2nb1 and gives no errors or
warnings.

After doing that I don't see a copy of libffi.so.8 in /usr/pkg/lib.

When I try: pkgin remove libffi

It indicates that there is "no such installed package libffi"

Any ideas on how I can resolve this?

Would it be a bad idea to try to compile and install libffi locally from
/usr/pkgsrc/devel?

It seems like pkgin itself is having issues, is there something I can do
to troubleshoot that?

Should I risk trying to upgrade pkgin (using pkgin or compiling in
/usr/pkgsrc)?

In the bigger picture, how do I avoid getting into this situation in the
future, just avoid pkgin?  What are the good alternatives?

Thank you,
Bruce
--
Behold, we must sully the fresh snow with footprints in order to get anywhere.
(Ursula LeGuin)