Re: pkgsrc build server

Dima Veselov <kab00m%lich.phys.spbu.ru@localhost> writes:

> Good example I had started to concern was building SOGo (not built in
> pkgsrc releases) which also depend on LLVM/cLang 10 in pkgsrc-current,
> but only 9 is available in 2020Q1. I tried to build it on VM and this was
> quite a mistake - it took several days and about 5 Gb to complete.
>
> Anyway binary installation of underlying packages takes lot of time
> of me and hit the versions difference between -current and last
> release. Maybe I should try nightly pkgsrc builds?

mixing pkgsrc head and stable branches is asking for trouble.  You're
welcome to do it, but "when I do this things don't work" reports will be
(should be) rejected as an out-of-order bug report.

> My pkgsrc tree and DISTDIR are separated on NFS shares available
> for all used servers.
>
> What I want is to run "make install" on fast real production server
> with lot of resources once and then have all of those packages built in
> NFS DISTDIR so any VM can just install them.

Then I think you want a pbulk chroot.

>> - Use make update. This reduces space requirements drastically by cleaning
>>    each work area on each package's installation.
>
> Thats a good point, thanks.

I would say: don't ever use make update.  Use pkg_rolling-replace if you
need to.  But really set up pbulk.

> In mentioned SOGo build I had to delete distfiles between dependencies when
> they were failing because of space. :-)

that means you don't really have enough space to do what you want to
do.  Use gluster/NFS or get more.

> Sorry if my original question wasn't certain enough. There is no need to
> shrink building space. I can give unlimited space and lot of resources to
> build process, but I have it only on production servers and I don't want
> to mess them with packages they do not need.

Then pbulk in a chroot.