Re: pkgsrc build server

On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 07:07:02PM +0300, Dima Veselov wrote:
> Is there an opportunity to build a package with dependencies
> on production server without installing all dependencies?
> Maybe we can deploy NetBSD dist into a directory and build
> pkgsrc in chroot environment or there is more smooth
> way to do that?

If that suits you, and if available for your platform, you can use binary
installation - at least for lower level packages. Only thing to watch is
for all the dependencies your and binary distribution's configuration
options are same.

Other things I can suggest are:

- Check out from CVS or if you are using git, use --depth 1 to keep source
  size less.

- Use make update. This reduces space requirements drastically by cleaning
  each work area on each package's installation.

- Delete distfiles.

- If possible, store packages away on some other server if you are using
  the build server only for build and consumers of the packages are
  different machines. You can possibly use NFS mount for that.

- The only concern I don't have a good answer to (others can suggest) is
  trimming the pkg space. Here the server is exclusively a build server
  and packages aren't used here. When required for build, it should be
  possible for the system to install from packages (unless version/
  configuration has changed). Not aware if there is a way to manage that.

  It's a bit complex as you'd not want all packages to be deleted by
  default. But even assuming you supply that list manually, can pkgsrc
  install them on demand and uninstall afterwards automatically?

--
Mayuresh