Re: Use network printer from NetBSD

Rocky Hotas wrote:
> > misfired
> >
> >          :if=/usr/pkg/libexec/magicfilter/psonly600-filter:\
>
> Sorry, I noticed your messages, but forgot to perform these tests.
>
> The last line of the current psonly600-filter isn't (even now) the same
> as your 2008 modification. It is (at least in my case):
>
> `default pipe /usr/pkg/bin/a2ps -1 -B --borders=no -o -'

I looked at an older installation that had a2ps in it. I suspect
that when magicfilter is being built, it looks for enscript and
uses that in place of a2ps. I may have know that years back and
had forgotten it...

> So, I did as follows:
> - installed just magicfilter and used the /etc/printcap file as you
>   suggested, in particular with
>   `if=/usr/pkg/libexec/magicfilter/psonly600-filter' (unmodified);
> - installed also enscript and created a `psonly600alt-filter' where the
>   last line is exactly the one of your modification:
>   `default pipe /usr/pkg/bin/enscript -B -p-'
>
> In both cases, the printer generated only a long series of blank pages
> (I stopped it manually). The /usr/pkg/libexec/magicfilter/ directory
> contains a lot of filters; if you think that some other could be worth
> testing, let me know.
> In any case, thank you so much!
>
> Rocky

This is so weird... I have been using the same stuff for at least
12 years and it always worked through every update along the way.
It has been a few months since I printed anything and now, only a
few things are working properly.  Last January I know it was working
well. I am running NetBSD -current and something has changed since
January.

Specifically I have some older conversion-to-ps software hanging
around that I haven't updated that prints correctly. All of the
new stuff is generating an ERROR NAME; undefined - COMMAND; OPERAND
STACK.  The new stuff generates different postscript output than
the old. I need to investigate further to find out what has changed.

I will note that when I changed the printer config from BR-Script3
to HP Laserjet, I got the continuous empty printer pages after the
first page and I somewhat remember that HP Laserjet didn't work
and had to be set for BR-Script3.