NetBSD and User Private Groups (Unique Groups)

Hi,

I'm using 9.0_RC1, so I don't know if this is a functionality that was used in the past and then dropped or will be introduced in the future.

At one point in time, probably around 10+ years ago, Red Hat introduced User Private Groups [1]. I ignore if other OSes have had this feature before (probably Mac OSX ?). Anyway, this has then spread to all other major Linux distros. FreeBSD calls them "unique groups" [2]. OpenBSD has this line in /etc/usermgmt.conf:

group           =uid

While NetBSD has:

group           users

I know it's just a simple matter for the admin to change a line for this feature to be implemented, but I wonder if there are any technical reasons why this has not been set as default, especially at install time.

Thanks.

[1] https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/5/html/deployment_guide/s1-users-groups-private-groups
[2] https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?adduser(8)

--