Re: NetBSD and User Private Groups (Unique Groups)

At Wed, 29 Jan 2020 09:36:02 +0000, Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-degen%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:
Subject: NetBSD and User Private Groups (Unique Groups)

> [1]
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/5/html/deployment_guide/s1-users-groups-private-groups
> [2] https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?adduser(8)

The way those documents are worded seem to me as if they were written by
people who did not understand the use of Unix file permissions and
ownership very well.

As others have said, the user's default "umask" is the correct solution
to the problem of having un-related users being able, by default, to
have read (and search for directories) access to each other's files.

Note that a user's default umask can be set in their shell's startup
script, as well as in /etc/login.conf (which adds yet another way of
"grouping" users).

As for the policy set in the default /etc/usermgmt.conf for "useradd",
well, it's definitely a policy issue and not a technical issue.
Personally I would say it would be rather obnoxious to change it now
after twenty years, at least without a far better argument.  That said,
I can't remember ever having used "useradd" except to test it.  :-)

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>