tty1 is NOT noisy, unlile tty0...

Just an update to thank the list for their help. I did manage to get a nice install of NetBSD 8.1 on my older machine. I really had no room on the new machine without adding some more hardware, which I may do later, after $mas. I did get NetBSD installed despite the "system chatter". The install was running in the default console called by the install cdrom, and I had no control over that. Just waded through it and got it done.

However, once the intitial reboot, I had control of the tty consoles. Ctl-Alt-F2 gave me a clean console, no chatter! Yeah!

So I'm sitting here right now on this NetBSD console window in Xterm running a ssh to sdf.org mail in alpine.

I installed the openbox window manager like the guide suggested. I tried pkg_add without luck, so since I was already in the src directory, so I could see what packages were available, I just went to the openbox directory an did a make install. Took a LONG time, so much I went to bed and checked on it this morning. It worked fine, and I've been playing with the configuration today. Even added a aqua background to make it look civilized:-)

I think I should have tried "pkgin" instead of "pkg_add". When I ran the install I added both pkgsrc and pkgin, so I may have had the binaries already loaded? Takes a dummie like me a little time to find his way around:-)

Anyway I like NetBSD so far.

Clay

clays.shell%sdf.org@localhost
SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.org