Re: Scanning a not configured atabus?

On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 01:37:06PM -0500, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 05:41:47PM +0200, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > If, at boot time, a SATA disk is attached (possibly with eSATA
> > connection), the corresponding atabus? is configured and one can
> > detached the disk and, later, re-attached it by rescanning with
> > drvctl(8) the atabus? .
> >
> > But if, at boot time, this atabus? has not been configured, is there a
> > way to force a running kernel to attach it?
> >
> > I tried to rescan the parent pci device but to no avail.
> >
> > I tried to explicitely set in the kernel config the atabus present (by
> > expanding the atabus* at ata?: atabus0 at ata? etc.) but this doesn't do
> > the trick either.
> >
> > Is there one (trick)? Or is there a way, in the kernel config file, to
> > force the configuration of all the atabuses so that the atabuses always
> > exist?
> >
> > TIA
>
> Could you provide both dmesgs?
>
> I've seen some machines, particularly newer laptops, where the port on
> the AHCI is disabled if no device was found by the platform firmware at
> boot time.

You have given the key here: BIOS!

I went to the BIOS and there were option for the 6 sata ports to enable
"hot plug" (it was disabled). Enabling them, now all the atabus? childs
appear even if no device is attached:

mainbus0
  ioapic0
  cpu0
    acpicpu0
    coretemp0
  cpu1
    acpicpu1
    coretemp1
  acpi0
    hpet0
    acpiec0
    attimer1
    pckbc1
      pckbd0
        wskbd0
    com2
    lpt2
    acpiwmi0
    acpibut0
    acpiwmi1
    acpifan0
    acpifan1
    acpifan2
    acpifan3
    acpifan4
    acpitz0
    acpitz1
  pci0
    pchb0
    ppb0
      pci1
        radeon0
          radeondrmkmsfb0
            wsdisplay0
        hdaudio0
          hdafg0
    xhci0
      usb0
        uhub0
      usb1
        uhub1
          uhidev0
            ums0
              wsmouse0
    ehci0
      usb2
        uhub2
          uhub5
    hdaudio1
      hdafg1
        audio0
    ppb1
      pci2
    ppb2
      pci3
        re0
          rgephy0
    ppb3
      pci4
        re1
          rgephy1
    ppb4
      pci5
        puc0
          com3
        puc1
          com4
    ehci1
      usb3
        uhub3
          uhub4
    pcib0
      isa0
        pcppi0
          midi0
          sysbeep0
    ahcisata0
      atabus0
        atapibus0
          cd0
      atabus1
        wd0
      atabus2
      atabus3
        wd1
      atabus4
      atabus5
swcrypto0
pad0
  audio1

Then the eSATA is connected to atabus4 and can be rescanned!

Thanks a lot!
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/