Re: Finding Raspberry Pi images on the site

"Sijmen J. Mulder" <ik%sjmulder.nl@localhost> writes:

> It seems quite hard to find a Raspberry Pi image on the site:
>
>  1. On http://www.netbsd.org/ I clicked "ARMv7" next to the arm entry
>     which mentions the Pi.
>
>  2. This brings me here:
>     http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-8.1/evbarm-earmv7hf/

This is basically the right place.

>     There's an extensive HTML document where I hope to find info about
>     what image to download from where but there is no mention of the
>     Pi. There are various images in subdirectories but I don't know
>     what I should use.

So that's the real bug, that the evbarm install document doesn't explain
the RPI.

>  3. I went back and clicked on "arm" in the CPU column, bringing me to:
>     http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/
>
>     Some good background upfront but under the Raspberry Pi header
>     there's only a line saying what models are supported.

Sort of near the top, there are links to "board-specific information"
including the page you found in line 4.

>  4. Finally I use a search engine and find
>     https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/raspberry_pi/
>
>     This is the right page but I'm not sure how it should've been
>     reached. Still, it takes a bit of reading and browsing a nightly
>     mirror to find the proper image.

You mention nightly mirror, so presumably you are wanting to use
current.  Generally the documentation is aimed at people using
releases.   For a RPI[23], I would recommend 8.1 and earvm7hf-el.

> There's https://www.invisible.ca/arm/ which is terrific. Shouldn't we
> have something like that on our homepage for all ports, or on the ARM
> page otherwise?

Perhaps, but that's solving a problem we are trying to get rid of, which
is needing different builds for each hardware flavor.

But having an interactive wizard of "what kind of computer do I have"
leading to the right wiki page would be neat.