Re: Laptop Recommendations for NetBSD?

> I am using grub2 to manage the boot.  The way the system installer works
> on the laptop I had to install windows first because the installer would
> error if the partitioning was not exactly what it wanted, then shrink
> the windows partition, installed fedora which brought along grunb 2 then
> finally installed netbsd.  This is the stanza from the grub.cfg I use
> for NetBSD:

menuentry "NetBSD" {
        insmod part_gpt
        set root=(hd0,gpt8)
        knetbsd /netbsd
}

> I guess you can see from this I am also using GPT and I use wedges for
> the NetBSD partitioning.

> > I succeeded booting FreeBSD by UEFI, but NetBSD attempt hung early (8.99.46 amd64).

> Odd - I am on 8.99.26 at the moment but my configuration has been
> booting fine since around April 2014 when I bought the laptop.

> Brett Lymn

> Sent from my NetBSD device.

This menuentry "NetBSD" part looks like something that would work in BIOS mode.  Do you also use it for UEFI?

I don't use the line "insmod part_gpt", and Super Grub2 Disk recognizes set root=(hd1,gpt18) anyway.  I use the command line rather than menuentry.

There is sysutils/grub2 in pkgsrc, though I can't be sure that it would build and work.

New FreeBSD versions (12.0-STABLE and current) include efibootmgr and other efi tools.  Maybe import to NetBSD or to pkgsrc?

I still haven't actually tried to use efibootmgr to write UEFI boot variables.  It looks simple enough, but who knows, it could crash, especially from an unstable version of FreeBSD.

Tom