Re: Web + email hosting recommendations

On 08 May 2019, mayuresh%acm.org@localhost wrote:

> What could be NetBSD-specific issues that would require provider's help? I
> have faced none till now. Just curious.

At least for VPS sometimes one suffers from the imperfect imitation
provided by the virtualization platform where kernel- or driver-specific
issues arise. For example, I may now be misremembering details but I
/think/ that with Bytemark I was running into weird timing issues with
OpenBSD but not NetBSD and the problem turned out to be specific to the
version of KVM that they were running (and there was a KVM config option
that could work around it). The bug centered on the emulation of local
APIC in repeated mode: commands like "sleep 1" would take increasingly
long, the longer the server was up! In those cases, having a provider
who knows what the BSDs are and has other customers using them (so they
can confirm issues, try moving to different nodes, prioritize for
virtualization platform adjustment or upgrade, etc.) is welcome.

-- Mark