Re: netbsd development on a raspberry pi

Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh%sdf.org@localhost> writes:

> what could be an ideal storage size for the micro-sd card?

I would not want to run an RPI with a uSD card and use it to do full
system builds on a regular basis because of concernns about write
endurance.

I have an RPI3 with a 32G uSD, and I used to have  / and /usr on that,
and a /d1 on an external USB spinning disk for bulk storage.   I
replaced that with a 500G SSD and have migrated /usr to that SSD as
well.   So only / is on the card.   An old spinning disk of a few
hundred GB would be just fine.  Avoid bus-powered disks in the PI.

I don't run build.sh on that box (using a 2010 intel box with more
cpu/ram/disk instead).   But I think it would run.

You may want to cross-build the system from Linux.  That works usually,
but sometimes there are changes in Linux that cause problems,  and if so
it's usually not to hard to fix up.  NetBSD tries to keep our trees
cross buildable from pretty much everywhere.

If I were going to build on a RPI, I'd look at the OrangePi Benny
mentioned very seriously.  1 GB of RAM is pretty small relative to
today's compilers, and 2 GB is a huge step up.