Re: Recommendations for small router?

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 12:56 AM Lars-Johan Liman <liman%cafax.se@localhost> wrote:

> [Sorry, sent a version of this from the wrong account a minute ago ...]
>
> Hi!
>
> Can anyone recommend a small piece of equipment for a home router that
> supports the following:
>
> *) Decently supported by and stable operation with NetBSD.
>
> *) At least 4 GB RAM.
>
> *) At least 2 GigE-ports (preferrably 3-4), and able to shuffle bits at
>    line speed between the two.
>
> *) Able to take a fairly large disk (possibly external) for medium speed
>    storage. It doesn't have to blindingly fast (no video editing!), but
>    I want to be able to have my home directory on it and use it from a
>    different machine.
>
> *) Not too noisy (fanless preferred but not required).
>
> *) Graphics can be very basic, or it can have a serial interface.
>
>                                 Cheers,
>                                   /Lars-Johan Liman

Have you had a look at https://pcengines.ch/apu2.htm

More specifically https://pcengines.ch/apu4c4.htm The APU4C4 is quite
nice in terms of specifications and it meets almost all of the
requirements that you have mentioned. For storage you can use SD cards
or even better mSATA drive.

The cost comes to ~120 USD with the board and enclosure (shipping cost
not considered).

The only thing I have not tried out is NetBSD on the APU, however I
have tried out other BSD flavors and they did work quite well.

I have come across some threads in the mailing list with slower than
expected network transfer speeds in APU2 (but this was with NetBSD
7.0), I am not aware of the current status of NetBSD 8.0 on APU2.

Hope this reply has been helpful.

Regards
Santhosh