Re: Recommendations for small router?

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 12:26 PM Lars-Johan Liman <liman%cafax.se@localhost> wrote:

> [Sorry, sent a version of this from the wrong account a minute ago ...]
>
> Hi!
>
> Can anyone recommend a small piece of equipment for a home router that
> supports the following:
>
> *) Decently supported by and stable operation with NetBSD.
>
> *) At least 4 GB RAM.
>
> *) At least 2 GigE-ports (preferrably 3-4), and able to shuffle bits at
>    line speed between the two.
>
> *) Able to take a fairly large disk (possibly external) for medium speed
>    storage. It doesn't have to blindingly fast (no video editing!), but
>    I want to be able to have my home directory on it and use it from a
>    different machine.
>
> *) Not too noisy (fanless preferred but not required).
>
> *) Graphics can be very basic, or it can have a serial interface.

Probably a lot of people have similar wants/needs. 4 gigs of memory
limits you mostly to i386 or amd64 unless I'm behind the times. You're
really talking about a Mini-ITX system probably. Those are pretty
prevalent and should be supported pretty well if you don't buy a
bleeding edge one.

On the smaller SoC Arm boards, I'm finding that NetBSD isn't as fast
as Linux although much nicer to work with.

The Rock64 isn't far off but doesn't have multiple network interfaces.
And I don't know how far along NetBSD support is yet. I see some
messages about it.

Looking forward to other responses.

Andy