Re: NetBSD disk performance on VirtualBox

I managed to get mine to about 180MB/sec, host i/o cache didn't make much difference, but I switched to ICH9 chipset and ICH6 SATA controller... Hold on, I just realised my root device is on an IDE controller, not SATA, which must have been the default setting for NetBSD in VirtualBox. I'll check using SATA.

My Centos VM returns some 600MB/sec.

Chavdar

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 at 22:39 Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 16:17:33 +0100
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 12:06:44PM +0000, Sad Clouds wrote:
> > Hello, which virtual controller do you use in VirtualBox and do you
> > have "Use Host I/O Cache" selected on that controller? If yes, then
> > you need to disable it before running I/O tests, otherwise it
> > caches loads of data in RAM instead of sending it to disk.
>
> I am not sure it makes sense to benchmark the host IO performance in
> this context ;-)
>
> However: I have the default settings, PIIX4. This is netbsd-8 GENERIC,
> as of a few days ago.
>
> Turning off the host IO cache makes no measurable difference for me.
>
> Martin

Hmm... something strange is going on here, I can't get anywhere close
to the throughput that you're getting on a NetBSD-8 VM, and I use
similar settings. I'm running VirtualBox 5.2.8 and changing "Use Host
I/O Cache" made no difference for me, max throughput is always around 50
MBytes/sec.