Re: NetBSD disk performance on VirtualBox

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 16:17:33 +0100
Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 12:06:44PM +0000, Sad Clouds wrote:
> > Hello, which virtual controller do you use in VirtualBox and do you
> > have "Use Host I/O Cache" selected on that controller? If yes, then
> > you need to disable it before running I/O tests, otherwise it
> > caches loads of data in RAM instead of sending it to disk.
>
> I am not sure it makes sense to benchmark the host IO performance in
> this context ;-)
>
> However: I have the default settings, PIIX4. This is netbsd-8 GENERIC,
> as of a few days ago.
>
> Turning off the host IO cache makes no measurable difference for me.
>
> Martin

Hmm... something strange is going on here, I can't get anywhere close
to the throughput that you're getting on a NetBSD-8 VM, and I use
similar settings. I'm running VirtualBox 5.2.8 and changing "Use Host
I/O Cache" made no difference for me, max throughput is always around 50
MBytes/sec.