Re: NetBSD 7.1 i386 on Virtualbox (fatal breakpoint trap in supervisor mode)

Thor Lancelot Simon <tls%panix.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 05:35:09PM +0000, Valery Ushakov wrote:
>>
>> Right, because you use VT-x.  Older CPUs and low-end CPUs (atoms)
>> don't have VT-x.  Even if your CPU supports it, you might also need to
>> explicitly enable VT-x in BIOS (not a problem for OSX).

[...]
> The problem with VirtualBox without VT-x is that their trick of
> patching the guest OS to run in ring 3 doesn't play nice with our
> method of dynamically patching various primitives in the kernel to
> be efficient in particular machine configurations.  I thought they'd
> fixed that, though...

Finally found my old mail on the topic:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2013/06/21/msg013010.html

You refer to second problem.  Dunno if it's been fixed.  The first one
is more complex.

As for the TSS, someone with x86 clue should look into this.  Might
give a performance boost under qemu too - will be good for anita runs.

-uwe