Re: Setting up IPv6

Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 4:36 AM, Robert Elz <kre%munnari.oz.au@localhost> wrote:
>> If you have a static IPv6 addr from the ISP, you can just configure
>> another subnet for the other interface, and all should be fine.
>
> What subnet? I don't think I have enough information from the original
> message to decide if this is possible. He's only getting a single IPv6
> address from the ISP right?
>
> If I understand this right - if he's doing "autohost" on the hosts,
> those should be getting a /64 advertisement, but it's not clear to me
> where this prefix comes from if it's a global, routable one.

I think this is it.

My setup has one address on my upstream interface (a tunnel), within a
/64 that is shared between me and the tunnel endpoint, and another /64
for my local LAN with an address from that on my router.

I am unclear on if you need a rtadvd.conf.  But you definitely need a
globally routed /64 prefix and address configured on the LAN-facing
interface.

You can also use tcpdump to look for icmp6 and see the RAs.