Re: ath0: cannot map register space

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 11:58:50AM -0600, John D. Baker wrote:
> For those machines, the only solution was to drop into BIOS setup and
> tell it to reset to default settings, then NetBSD would be able to map
> the device registers.  If Linux were again booted on a machine previously
> running NetBSD, resetting to BIOS defaults was required before booting
> NetBSD again or the same problem would arise.

I checked the BIOS options thoroughly, leaves nothing for me to try out.

However I have also witnessed a strange behavior about booting a
particular OS changing something in the BIOS.

This is a very old (>10 years) laptop. It underwent a motherboard
replacement with OEM one. Since then it is running Linux and it never
detected the internal drive. It never showed up in the BIOS.

Yesterday for the first time I tried NetBSD with it. Now the internal HDD
appears in the BIOS! In fact now the internal drive was able to boot also
with an old Fedora installation I had on it when the MoBo had crashed a
few years back. It is a different story that there are several DMA errors
if I try to install NetBSD on the internal HDD. Either a motherboard or
disk problem, but it is at least visible.

Later on I rebooted to Linux and internal HDD is now invisible again!

I wish I could get a similar trick for WiFi hardware, may be asking Linux
to leave it in desired state (whatever it means) and then booting NetBSD.

Mayuresh.