Re: ath0: cannot map register space

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 11:14:42 +0530, Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:

> #dmesg | grep ath0
> ath0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0: Atheros 5424/2424
> ath0: cannot map register space

I used to see something similar on machines in a classroom that booted
either Linux or NetBSD via removable hard drive enclosures.  Linux would
work fine, but NetBSD would report the above error for the ethernet device.

For those machines, the only solution was to drop into BIOS setup and
tell it to reset to default settings, then NetBSD would be able to map
the device registers.  If Linux were again booted on a machine previously
running NetBSD, resetting to BIOS defaults was required before booting
NetBSD again or the same problem would arise.

I've also seen something similar on machines where the BIOS has a setting
for "Plug-n-Play OS".  For NetBSD, it should be set to "No" (i.e., BIOS
configures PCI device BARs, and device drivers just probe them and use
what's found there).

Perhaps either one or both of these scenarios are in play?