Re: building current

In article <20160208095616.GA9541@quark>,
Patrick Welche  <prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost> wrote:
>On Sun, Feb 07, 2016 at 04:28:57PM +0000, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
>> After cleaning the dest folder and 'make cleandir' (the latter I am not
>> sure is relevant, but I do it when I have problem like this) I got a full
>> build on both i386 and amd64 without a problem.
>
>It's feeling hit-and-miss at the moment: tried an update on another
>-current/amd64 box, build worked for a while. Now I get:
>
>$ gcc -v
>gcc version 4.8.5 (nb3 20151015)
>$ ld -v
>GNU ld (NetBSD Binutils nb1) 2.23.2
>$ gcc -o hellow hellow.c -Wall
>ld: /usr/lib/crt0.o: unrecognized relocation (0x2a) in section `.text'
>ld: final link failed: Bad value
>

>so obviously building isn't working any more. About to copy over crt0.o
>and try again. Presumably in-place updates just can't be done, and
>building and untarring releasees is the only way at the moment...

In place updates will only work if you build and install binutils first.
A tools build will work fine, but for a non-tools build you need to
get the newer version of binutils installed first. In fact, am not
sure how you ever got into this state (where crt0.c was assembled with
gas from 2.26 but ld from 2.23).

christos