Re: building current

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: "coypu%SDF.ORG@localhost" <coypu%SDF.ORG@localhost>
To: Darren <darren780%yahoo.com@localhost>
Sent: Sunday, February 7, 2016 2:36 AM
Subject: Re: building current

On Sun, Feb 07, 2016 at 02:31:13AM +0000, Darren wrote:

> Just the commands on that site for amd64.  I think it's something wrong with the instructions on build or cvs.  I'm running sysbuild from pkgsrc as recommended on another site and it's working fine.
> I'm more used to freebsd's method of buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, installworld.  The script build.sh is new to me.

The usual go to is something along the lines of:
./build.sh -mamd64 -j12 -U -u tools release
and just building a kernel with a given conf (say GENERIC):
./build.sh -mamd64 -j12 -U -u kernel=GENERIC

where the given options are:
-mamd64 : architecture
-j12 : make jobs, suits my computer
-U : unprivileged, not as root
-u : resume if stopped
tools : build the tools needed to compile (possibly needed in general
for the script, especially if you are compiling on another platform,
like I was).
release : the binary sets needed for release
kernel=GENERIC ; just builds the kernel with config named 'GENERIC'.
this is a file

not 100% sure what is needed to make the install disk, I think that
release does it. live-image makes a bootable USB but it's weird.

If you merely wish to keep up with -current, it is possible to do so
with binaries using sysutils/sysupgrade (or merely unpacking them in /
yourself - sysupgrade will ask about overriding files, this is very
handy) and stuff on nyftp.netbsd.org (built several times a day).

Thanks a ton, I couldn't find anything like that on ftp.netbsd.org.   Works for me.  I was compiling in a virtualbox.  I could have found the conflict with the make distribution or the -U since I was using root, since the machine only had that one purpose.