Re: ataraid issue was Re: [netbsd-7] Critical issue with ffs+log

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 11:03:51AM +0100, BERTRAND Joël wrote:
> Michael van Elst a écrit :
> >joel.bertrand%systella.fr@localhost (=?UTF-8?Q?BERTRAND_Jo=c3=abl?=) writes:
> >
> >>	By dkctl wd0/1 setcache none save ? I will try next saturday. But if
> >>both disks are unsynchronized, how can I force a resynchronization ?
> >
> >There is no sane way. For a resynchronization you'd need at least a single
> >bit that tells you that both sides are out of sync (and better some
> >kind of journal or a parity map).
> >
> >Copying the raid to itself will of course synchronize both disks.
> >

> 	I don't understand. If I use a real raid controler (or raidframe), I can
> remove and readd a disk and I have to resynchronize raid volume. Maybe is my
> question trivial, but with ataraid, how can I swap device when a physical
> disk is dying ?

The ataraid driver doesn't have many features. It can perform reads/writes
on RAID0 and RAID1 and handle disk failures for RAID1. You can query
the current state with the bioctl utility.

Creation, verification or recovery of raid volumes is not supported by
the driver. There is usually a BIOS extension that lets you do this.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost