From: Greg Troxel [mailto:gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost]
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2015 10:25 AM
To: Scott Burns <Scott.Burns%SeQent.Com@localhost>
Cc: netbsd-users%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject: Re: sharing /usr/src over nfs between multiple platforms

"Scott Burns" <Scott.Burns%SeQent.Com@localhost> writes:

> I am a relative newbie to cross-platform kernel building.
>
> I have a AMD64 based notebook installed with NetBSD/amd64 v7.0 (AMD64)
> 	- "src" installed and custom kernel built successfully.
>
> I have exported /usr/src on AMD64 via nfs to a Raspberry PI 2 running
> NetBSD/armv7 v7.0. (ARMV7)
>
> On ARMV7 after working through manual creation of "/usr/obj" I am now
> executing "sh build.sh tools".
>
> Once done I assume I can build a kernel ok on the ARMV7 machine.

You are talking about cross, and then building native on the PI from
/usr/src on NFS.   That's fine if you want to do that, but you can build
the entire system on the adm64 machine, which would actually be cross.

When I build for Pi (that I haven't really run) on i386, I do

./build.sh -m evbarm -j8 -x -u -U \
  -O /usr/obj/gdt-current/evbarm \
  -T /usr/obj/gdt-current/tools \
  -D /usr/obj/gdt-current/destdir/evbarm \
  -R /usr/obj/gdt-current/releasedir \
  -X /u0/n0/gdt/NetBSD-current/xsrc \
  release

Note that you don't need to set all of that, but I like things this way, to
keep builds of multiple branches and arches organized.

If you build on amd64 and also on the evbarm itself, you will have to have
separate directories for tools, and for the objdir used to build the tools.

What is your goal?