Re: upgrading 5.x to 6.1.5 or 7?

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015, Carl Brewer wrote:
In the past, I've over-written the kernel with the new version, rebooted, then untar'ed the OS tarballs, over-writing everything, then run postinstall to tidy up /etc, and it's "just worked"

That's the same method I use, as well.

Any issues I might have doing that going from 5.2 to 6.1.5? Or, is it safe to jump straight to 7 doing that?

I've done it once so far with a 6.1.5 machine. It worked as I/you would expect.

the boxes are running as VMs so I will be snapshotting them beforehand, but I'm curious - any war stories?

For hardware machines you can also use FFS snapshots. That works also. If things go completely off the rails you can just boot from a CDROM or USB and restore the snapshot.

-Swift