upgrading 5.x to 6.1.5 or 7?

G'day,
I'm planning to bump two amd64 virtual servers from 5.2 to 6.1.5 or 7 tonight.

In the past, I've over-written the kernel with the new version, rebooted, then untar'ed the OS tarballs, over-writing everything, then run postinstall to tidy up /etc, and it's "just worked" - everything in pkgsrc kept working (cyrus, sendmail) and my home-made compiled stuff did too (mostly older Plone instances)

Any issues I might have doing that going from 5.2 to 6.1.5? Or, is it safe to jump straight to 7 doing that?

the boxes are running as VMs so I will be snapshotting them beforehand, but I'm curious - any war stories?

thank you

Carl