Re: nspluginwrapper and libflashsupport updates for adobe-flash-plugin

On Thu, 29 Oct 2015, Roy Bixler wrote:
I wonder if it's possible to build a recent Firefox using some other audio backend. It seems worthwhile, since pulseaudio is a real CPU hog and it might also eliminate the need for dbus/avahi.

Indeed. Pulseaudio is unbelievable. It's got a relatively huge codebase, but it's actual functionality is almost as poor as it's reliability record. Any package which depends on it I view with heavy suspicion of also being tainted garbage. Dbus and Avahi are also heinous dependencies, as well. They provide zero gain for most users, complicate the system, and suck up resources. Having used both over the course of many years, I can say with no reservation that Esound (esd) is superior in nearly every way to pulseaudio. It's also about 1/4th of the code bloat 1/3rd of the memory and 1/2 the binary size. That *might* be because esd isn't written by some guy who wants everything he touches to take the system over (Pottering of systemd infamy). The KISS principle as well as several other Unix fundamentals are lost on the guy. The less of his code runs on my BSD box, the happier I'll be. :-)

It's a real shame that browsers have to be updated constantly now due to the constant threat of some jerk using the browser as an attack surface. I feel like pretty soon browsers are going to represent bigger codebases than the operating system they run on.

Thanks,
  Swift