Re: Upgrading from rc3 to NetBSD 7.0

Kamil Rytarowski <n54%gmx.com@localhost> writes:

> On 09.10.2015 08:18, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
>> On 8 October 2015 at 23:00, Soren Jacobsen <snj%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>>> The NetBSD Project is pleased to announce NetBSD 7.0, the
>>> fifteenth major release of the NetBSD operating system.
>>
>> Hurrah!
>>
>> I have NetBSD 7_rc3. Should I bother upgrading?
>>
> It de[ends of the use-case. You should upgrade if you care about
> pkgsrc packages.

You can diff the sources, but probably the biggest benefit is to not
have warnings about version mismatches.   Very little changed in the
final days.

>> Can I just install the security updates?
>>
>> What is the best way to upgrade? Clean reinstall,  sysinst or
>> sysutils/sysupgrade?
>
> Lately I found sysupgrade and it works great.

There is also INSTALL-NetBSD in pkgsrc/sysutils/etcmanage.  It's much
older than sysupgrade, and AFAIK does pretty much the same thing in
terms of binaries.  It also deals with updating /etc files in a way
that's a little harder to set up but then is much more automatic.