Re: Why doesn't NetBSD recognize my entries in /etc/hosts?

On 16 September 2015 at 19:36, Johnny Billquist <bqt%update.uu.se@localhost> wrote:
>>> Maybe you should try and learn about /etc/hosts.deny as well as
>>> ipfilters?
>>

>> But again, why?
>>
>> If I have a list of 300 domains to block, this would not be practicable.
>

> The question is - what do you actually want to do. And how it entering them
> all in /etc/hosts any more practicable than using /etc/hosts.deny?

There are third party lists of domains that are either malware or
nasty tracing cookies, this is one of them:
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.txt

This is what I want to do. This is my machine and I am happy with
blocking all these domains. It might not be the most elegant thing to
do but it works for me.

Hosts.deny blocks those domains accessing services on my computer but
not my computer accessing their servers.

Running ipfilter is a bit overkill.

--
Ottavio