Re: filesystem change monitoring

Hi,

From: manu%netbsd.org@localhost (Emmanuel Dreyfus), Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 11:55:36 +0200

> Ryo ONODERA <ryo_on%yk.rim.or.jp@localhost> wrote:
>
>> If lsyncd uses Linux's inotofy, you can link libinotify from
>> pkgsrc/devel/libinotify. It is a result of GSoC and implemented with
>> kqueue/kevent (according to DESCR).
>
> Sure, that works, but kqueue needs to open a file descriptor for every
> monitored file, hence you quickly blow your system if the hierarchy is
> big.
>
> Moreover, lsyncd makes a poor job at reporting it. It will just stop
> replicating without a warning. And it seems it also has a problem with
> directory addition when using kqueue. I assume there is no hook to add a
> kqueue filter on the new directory.

I am using pkgsrc/net/owncloudclient to sync my ~/ownCloud/ with my ownCloud
server. owncloudclient detects new directory. So if I create new directory
under ~/ownCloud/, owncloudclient creates new empty directory on the
server.
owncloudclient uses pkgsrc/devel/libinotify.
I have no idea about large hierarchy, however it seems that new directory issue
is cared by libinotify.

Thank you.

--
Ryo ONODERA // ryo_on%yk.rim.or.jp@localhost
PGP fingerprint = 82A2 DC91 76E0 A10A 8ABB  FD1B F404 27FA C7D1 15F3