Re: USB keyboard recognized during boot menu, not later

Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> writes:

> I bought a new laptop with following page describing the hardware details:
>
> http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-15-r200-Notebook-PC-series/7486447/model/7748035/document/c04576750/
>
> Installed NetBSD 6.1.5 amd64 on it.
>
> I find that, at initial stage of the boot i.e at the boot menu, an
> external USB keyboard is recognized i.e. I can hit Enter using external
> keyboard for boot to resume. However later during the boot the keyboard
> stops functioning.

Probably this is using the BIOS, so it doesn't necessarily mean NetBSD 6
is talking to the keyboard at all.

> Detaching/attaching keyboard seems to produce no dmesg message.

I would try netbsd-7 and if not a current kernel.  It seems that
something is going wrong in how the kernel deals with the USB chipset,
and more recent code is more likely to get this right.

Is the builtin keyboard working?   What about other USB devices?

With Debian, look at the dmesg to see if it's an xhci or some other new
kind of chipset.