USB keyboard recognized during boot menu, not later

I bought a new laptop with following page describing the hardware details:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-15-r200-Notebook-PC-series/7486447/model/7748035/document/c04576750/

Installed NetBSD 6.1.5 amd64 on it.

I find that, at initial stage of the boot i.e at the boot menu, an
external USB keyboard is recognized i.e. I can hit Enter using external
keyboard for boot to resume. However later during the boot the keyboard
starts functioning.

Detaching/attaching keyboard seems to produce no dmesg message.

There are 3 USB ports and tried placing keyboard in each one of them. The
behavior is no different.

Keyboard seemed to work fine on the same laptop with Linux, Debian Wheezy.

Mayuresh.