Re: Julia on NetBSD?

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 04:49:09AM +0100, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
>
> > Yes, that's the stupid HP interface. Look at libexecinfo/unwind.c how
> > the same can be done with the (much more) portable Itanium ABI.
>
> But a function like _Unwind_GetIP() is private. Do you suggest I should
> modify the package to export it?

Huh? _Unwind_GetIP() is part of the documented public interface of an
Itanium unwinder. It is available from unwind.h

> Moreover, I can agree an interface can be stupid, but if it is used, it
> is a good idea to support it. Failing to do so means that people porting
> software to NetBSD must always reinvent the wheel, which is a loss of
> time and an opportunity to introduce bugs.

I have yet to find a use case that needs anything from the HP interface.
It adds a significant amount of code for no gain at all. I am reasonable
sure that the *only* reason people tend to pick it up is bad Googlefu.
Ironically, you won't find it out of the box on Linux either. You will
find unwind.h and the Itanium unwind interface with any recent GCC on
ELF platforms.

Joerg