Re: Why don't I get vesa command at boot prompt [Was NetBSD for the dekstop]

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 07:57:19PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> Is the /boot a right version? I am not sure which set it belongs to. I
> have not done full install for years and if /boot is not in one of the
> sets I install it might be older.
>
> #ls -l /boot
> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  60012 Jul  5  2013 /boot
>
> If that speculation is true, is there a safe way to upgrade just /boot to
> suit my installation?

I see a more up to date bootloader on my system:

# ls -l /usr/mdec/boot
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  73236 May 13  2013 /usr/mdec/boot

I see the following in man installboot

     1.   Copy the secondary bootstrap (usually /usr/mdec/boot.MACHINE or
          /usr/mdec/boot) to the root directory of the target file system.

     2.   Use installboot to install the primary bootstrap program
          (usually /usr/mdec/bootxx_FSTYPE) into filesystem.

          The following platforms do not require this step if the primary
          bootstrap already exists and the secondary bootstrap file is
          just being updated: alpha, amd64, amiga, i386, pmax, sparc64, and
          vax.

So, being on i386, and having a running system, I assume I won't blow up
my system if I do the following

     cp /usr/mdec/boot /

A little hesitant.. Anyone can give me some confidence?

Mayuresh.