Re: Motherboard recommendations?

Mayuresh <mayuresh%acm.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 27, 2014 at 08:14:26AM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > Shutting down due to overheating sounds like a problem with the CPU
> > and fans, or lack of fans, rather than the motherboard as such.
>
> ... I tried several things to isolate the cause, but never suspected
> the CPU. I think I'll give that a try before purchasing a new motherboard.

You might want to verify that the mobo is really overheating using either
another OS &/or temperature probes.  The NetBSD ACPI temp sensor stuff is
known to read bogus critical temp spikes on certain hardware and the default
/etc/powerd/scripts have the system shutdown when those are detected.  I've
got an old HP mini-tower system that that happens to; once I realized there
was no over-heating going on I editted /etc/powerd/scripts/sensor_temperature
to do nothing for the "critical" case.

HTH,
jgw