Re: Making a localized, educational live-usb version of Netbsd? Possible, and is worth it?

On Apr 3, 2014, at 1:22 PM, Ottavio Caruso wrote:

On 3 April 2014 19:10, Christos Zoulas <christos%zoulas.com@localhost> wrote:
| I'd like to have something in ramdisk or /tmpfs rather that a full system.

I don't understand that. Meaning build the image in ramdisk?

To make myself clear: imagine Knoppix, but built on Netbsd.

--
Ottavio

I've been following this thread for a bit...
So, you want to emulate Knoppix?
Sounds like might want to use virtual disks (with compression), so checkout vnconfig , and union_mounts, so scripts, and users can make changes -- thumb drives always seems to write about half as fast as they read .. ( man 8 mount_union ) , and use swap files instead of a b slice. vndcompress(8) makes a cloop2 out of your .fs or file system image file. I made a boot floppy -- -- root on usb / rescue thing for myself a while back, after realizing Knoppix, and netbsd4live would not really cut it for me ( for that purpose), but read some man pages, and kidded myself about
easy it should be to make something like Knoppix ;-)
And, maybe you want to the thumbdrive to look as much a normal pc thumbdrive w/o losing features
you need? (just to summarize the thread so far)