Re: m17n-lib unpleasantness

Bob Bernstein <poobah%ruptured-duck.com@localhost> writes:

> On Sun, 16 Mar 2014, Greg Troxel wrote:
>
>> It builds for me under NetBSD 6 with X11_TYPE=modular.
>
> I have 6.1.3 here with stock off-the-shelf X.
>
>> Have you verified that all your packages are up to date vs the
>> pkgsrc tree?
>
> The output of lintpkgsrc showed my fribidi was way behind:
>
> "Version mismatch: 'fribidi' 0.10.9 vs 0.19.6"
>
> After bringing fribidi up to speed, m17n-lib built ok. Not to strike a
> negative note, but is not that the sort of thing that a pkgsrc build
> ought to detect and remedy?

Well, it depends what you mean by "a pkgsrc build".   There are multiple
approaches to getting up to date:

  use pkgin or nih and binary builds
  use pkg_rollling-replace
  use pkg_chk

Basically "make package-install" in one package does not imply "run over the
entire
pkgsrc tree and make everything else right.

Now, there is probably also a bug in that if m17n-lib requires newer
fribidi, that should be explicit in the Makefile or the fribidi bl3
file.  But these kinds of bugs arise because most people who work on
pkgsrc keep their installed trees up to date with the version of pkgsrc
they are using, so the fact that fribidi 0.19.6 isn't ok for m17n-lib
may not have been discovered.  It should also be noted in the NEWS or
README file in the updated m17n-lib, but it might not be.

When you had this problem, had you updated all of pkgsrc to current, or
just m17n-lib?

So probably it would be good if this were clearer to those starting to
build things from source in the documentation.  If you can figure out
where you would have noticed such a cuation and send a patch, that would
be great.