Re: Muddled wrt pkgsrc

Bob Bernstein <poobah%ruptured-duck.com@localhost> writes:

> After a long delay I have finally upgraded my netbsd machine to 6.1.3,
> and refreshed the /usr/pkgsrc tree to pkgsrc-2013Q4. I then charged
> off to build claws-mail and ran into a bit of pesky business that has
> always baffled me.
>
> At every turn, as claws-mail ground through its build, I was
> confronted with the need to pkg-delete older versions of its many,
> many dependencies.
>
> Is there a way to tell pkgsrc simply to 'pkg_delete -f' all these
> older versions of dependencies as and when the build wishes to replace
> them with uptodate versions?

Three approaches:

  use pkgin or nih, and do binary upgrades from a package repository
  someone else has built

  Use pkg_chk, and record the packages that you actually want.  Remove
  everything, and rebuild them.

  Use pkg_rolling-replace (see the man page for details) which basically
  does 'make replace' in the right order.  But it can't deal with some
  situations involving renaming and moving files from one package to
  another.  This is sort of like what you're asking for, except that it
  freshens packages bottom up.

A more complicated path is to change pkgsrc so that DEPENDS_TARGET will
end up doing

  if package is not installed, make package-install
  if packaeg is installed, but the version isn't good enough, make
package-replace

But, if you want that, you almost want pkg_rr anyway, which is probably
why it hasn't been implemented.