Re: Emacsen segfaulting on startup

Hi,

Martin Husemann wrote:
Emacsen do a strange "unexec" during their build - basically they init
the full lisp machine and then dump core, turn the core into a new
executable and name that emacs. This step seems to be "non portable",
in the sense that it is only guaranteed to work on the local machine.

I call this a design bug in the unexec process.
perhaps this makes it incomaptible even with minor release changes (that would mean all our binary packages are *potentially* broken for certain users) or it is machined ependent.

Can I make a binary package on the machine iI just compiled it from source and install it with pkg_add on my laptop where I don't have the whole source tree? How? Maybe I'm lucky.

If not, I need to find a way to build on my laptop. I don't knwo if I have place for a whole pkgsrc tree. and with only 160Mb of RAM it will be long :) Perhaps i can get the pkg sources of only the single packages I need? Is there such a concept like a "source package" in netbsd?

Riccardo