Re: Emacsen segfaulting on startup

Hi All,

Matthias Scheler wrote:
On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 09:44:59AM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 09:41:56AM +0100, Volkmar Seifert wrote:
I updated to 6.1.3 and even with the stock kernel... and an older
emacs (reinstalled) it crashed.
What do you mean by "reinstalled" - you are aware of the fact that
with a new OS-/Userland-version, you need to rebuild all packages
that have been installed from pkgsrc?
that's not really true.
It is true, but badly worded. You can of course use packages from an
old NetBSD release under a newer NetBSD release. But you cannot *mix*
packages built under two different (major) NetBSD releases.

I never had two major releases installed on this system. It started out as a fresh 6.1.2 machine and I upgraded it by using the NetBSD installer to 6.1.3. I would expect this to be relatively painless.

Reinstalled means that I previously removed all emacs packages, now I reinstalled just emacs 22 from binaries.

This is nothing that NetBSD can ensure. A good example is the 64-bit
time_t change in NetBSD 6.0. If you compile a shared library and a
program using this type under NetBSD 5.0 they will use a 32-bit time_t.
If you now recompile *one* of those two under NetBSD 6.0 it will start
using 64-bit time_t-s. And as a result it is no longer compatible with
the NetBSD 5.0 library or program. This will definitely result in crashes.

There have even been programs which use "time_t" in on disk format
(a particular bad idea). In this case a NetBSD 5.0 program will
happily work under NetBSD 6.0 and read the old data. But as soon
as you recompile that program you will get problems. There is again
nothing that NetBSD can do about this.

In any case that is not the case, I am using 6.x version packages. In fact, if you install binary packages, you will notice sthat they warn you they were not compiled for "6.1.2" but a previous version, usually 6.1 or older, all of course of the same major release.

Riccardo