Re: Import sysupgrade or sysupdate into NetBSD

On Jan 19, 2014, at 13:39 , Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>> What's wrong with pkgsrc? Why needs the sysutils/sysupgrade package to be in
>> base?
>
> Note that these are two different codebases: sysupdate, as developed by
> Julian Fagir is not the same thing as the sysupdate in pkgsrc. IIUC the
> former is considered the replacement of the latter.

Right, It's easy to confuse them.

I was originally referring to pkgsrc/sysutils/sysupgrade which jmmv@ made over
a year ago...
http://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/introducing_sysbuild_and_sysupgrade

And now I learned about Julian Fagir's sysupdate GSoC (not present in pkgsrc).
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2013/10/02/msg007956.html

I don't have any opinion regarding the two tools, but I do think that NetBSD
has been lacking this type of tool to simplify upgrades/updates so any NetBSD
user (especially the newcomers) can do it with a simple "one-liner".
So as long as any of sysupgrade/sysupdate gets included in NetBSD's
distribution (before next major release of NetBSD is released), I'm happy with
that. And kudos to both jmmv@ and jdf@ for their work on making NetBSD
upgrades/updates much simpler.

Re,
/P

PS.
There are also older sysupdate scripts made by others. I think Hubertf's old
blog post has most of them linked:
http://www.feyrer.de/NetBSD/bx/blosxom.cgi/nb_20100104_0228.html
DS.