Re: wpi0: fatal firmware error

                        Hi,

On 05/11/2013 23:11, Béla wrote:
> Hello fellow NetBSD users,
>
> I have dabbled with NetBSD in VirtualBox for some time now and today I
> decided to install NetBSD-amd64 version 6.1.2 on my Thinkpad T61 laptop.
> The T61 comes with the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG wireless card - or
> wpi, NetBSD seems to have the appropriate driver for it, and necessary
> firmware is also made available(I used the wpi-firmware2-2.14.4 binary
> package from pkgsrc). But, whenever I bring the interface up(ifconfig
> wpi0 up), I get this error:
>
> wpi0: fatal firmware error
>
> I also tried the old firmware wpi-firmware-1.13, with no more success; I
> get the same error.
>
> Any ideas how to make this wireless card work?
> Does anybody run NetBSD with this wifi card?

I have a T60 running netbsd-6, and the 3945abg wifi card works fine
there. Haven't tried it for a while, can try again though.

Kind of a silly question, but are you sure you have enabled the radio
switch? (but it should not fail this way except if it really can't load
the firmware...)

Are the firmware files really installed where they are expected to be?
The path is either "/usr/pkg/libdata/firmware/if_wpi" or
"/usr/pkg/libdata/if_wpi", the latter being where the package
effectively installs the files. See also the output of "sysctl
hw.firmware.path" to confirm.

> BTW, I have not configured dhcpd/dhclient or wpa_supplicant yet; I see
> no reason to, first I need to get the firmware working.

HTH,
--
khorben