Re: sbc better than soekris?

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 05:28:57PM -0400, James K. Lowden wrote:
> I could use some advice on replacing/fixing my router.
>
> I have a Soekris 4801 with an aging 2.5" 30 GB ATA drive that is
> starting to worry me:
>
> $ grep geode /var/log/messages
> May 20 15:07:17 cherry /netbsd: geodeide0:0:0: lost interrupt
> May 20 15:07:17 cherry /netbsd: geodeide0:0:0: bus-master DMA error:
> missing interrupt, status=0x1
>
> These errors send the OS into a tailspin.  The machine stops responding
> even though das blinkenlights show the disk hard on.  Is there any
> reason to think the above messages might be caused by anything other
> than a disk headed south for the summer?
>
> The 4801 was the cat's meow in 2004, but it's getting old.  Is it
> fair to expect another 5 years from the electronics, or is it time to
> replace it?  If so, with what?  A friend mentioned a $99 tiny box, but
> for the life of me I don't remember its name.  Nor his.  :-(
>
> Replacing a drive is an option, but only if it's a good one.  Afaict ATA
> drives with a 5-year warranty don't exist anymore, whether spinning or
> solid-state.  If I don't care about shock and vibration, is there any
> reason to believe SSDs last longer than rotating media?
>
> Many thanks for the benefit of your experience.
>
> --jkl

Hi James,
my humble opinion - the lifespan of solid state electronics is a lottery
game. Electronic circuits can fail days after purchase, the same parts
can last as well for decades.

The laptop I use right now has a CompactFlash card instead of a
harddisk. Though it has lots of write access to it, it didnt fail nor
shows any errors. If your router doesnt write much on the harddisk, you
will be fine with a simple ssd-solution (also it boots very quick and
doesnt age mechanically). I wonder what a router needs a 30GB for, maybe
a CF-Card with a few GB will do the trick. The Soekris even has a
CF-Socket, use it.

Cheers,
herb langhans