Re: sbc better than soekris?

On 5/20/12 4:28 PM, James K. Lowden wrote:
I could use some advice on replacing/fixing my router.

I have a Soekris 4801 with an aging 2.5" 30 GB ATA drive that is
starting to worry me:

$ grep geode /var/log/messages
May 20 15:07:17 cherry /netbsd: geodeide0:0:0: lost interrupt
May 20 15:07:17 cherry /netbsd: geodeide0:0:0: bus-master DMA error:
missing interrupt, status=0x1

These errors send the OS into a tailspin.  The machine stops responding
even though das blinkenlights show the disk hard on.  Is there any
reason to think the above messages might be caused by anything other
than a disk headed south for the summer?

The 4801 was the cat's meow in 2004, but it's getting old.  Is it
fair to expect another 5 years from the electronics, or is it time to
replace it?  If so, with what?  A friend mentioned a $99 tiny box, but
for the life of me I don't remember its name.  Nor his.  :-(

Replacing a drive is an option, but only if it's a good one.  Afaict ATA
drives with a 5-year warranty don't exist anymore, whether spinning or
solid-state.  If I don't care about shock and vibration, is there any
reason to believe SSDs last longer than rotating media?

Many thanks for the benefit of your experience.

--jkl

I replaced a Soekris 4501 [I think] a couple years ago with an Alix board
http://store.netgate.com/ALIX2D3-2D13-Kit-Black-Unassembled-P172C86.aspx
for a 24/7/365 router/firewall/AP. Not the cheapest in town, but it comes up easy and performs well. It has a 2GB CF drive, no problems noted. This was built with 5.1 and haven't seen a need to upgrade it.

--
Ron McDowell
San Antonio TX